Saturday, September 10, 2016

My Passion

Hi, many of the teachers that will probably read this already know me. In the past 20 years, I have moved several times and have worked in several ISD's and on many campuses and have been in and out of many classrooms. I have been an aide, a substitute and a teacher. I have mostly taught Special Education. I have taught every grade level from Kindergarten to Seniors. I have also taught General Education 6th Grade Social Studies. I have finally settled down in an area that I love and I hope to retire in my current district. Although, I am capable and qualified to teach other subjects, I have not had the desire to pull myself away from the special kids that I teach.

Yes, my job can see overwhelming at times. The paperwork piles up (especially the first month of school and right before, during, and after State Testing). If you think a General Education Teacher has paperwork, you should mirror a Special Education Teacher for a day. (There's the regular lesson plans, testing and grading plus there is individualized testing, IEP's, BIP's, accommodations, modifications, behavior & personal care reports, 6 weeks Sped Progress Reports, transfer paperwork, paperwork for State Testing, paperwork for if the student doesn't pass State Testing and most of this has to be copied and distributed to the General Ed. Teachers, Administrators, and Parents - another responsibility.) To add to that sometimes, the students' frustration and behaviors seem out-of-control. The standards and expectations may seem out-of-reach.
Image result for paperwork pile
With all that said, I am very compassionate about what I do. I believe every child deserves a chance to become a productive citizen in life. Each child, disability or no disability, wants to fit in and feel useful. It is our job to help them discover how they are going to accomplish that.
Most of the time, for us teachers, that seems like an impossible task. The students come from all kinds of backgrounds, diversified homes, and on different levels of understanding. Many live in broken homes, poverty, and are barely surviving. They have not learned how to cope much less social skills.
Image result for working class usa school
On top of that, we are told that they must learn certain educational standards if they are ready or not. Many stressors are put on the teacher and ultimately on the student. At times, it may seem it's ALL about the numbers but I'm here to tell you it is NOT. It's about the CHILD.
Image result for student success
What can we as teachers do to help each child succeed in life? And what does individual success look like? It will not look the same for each child. We have to stop focusing on the next test and learn to envision their future.
Image result for student success
After graduation, what will success look like to that individual student? It may be college but it may not. It may be getting a technical certificate but it may be going straight into the work force. Will OUR students be ready? Have we taught them the skills that they will need to be productive?




Pile of Paper Picture Found Here
Mountain Picture Found Here
Classroom Picture Found Here
Testing Picture Found Here
Graduation Picture found here

No comments:

Post a Comment